<
Hannahville
 
Hannahville, named after Mrs. Hannah Marksman, the missionary's wife, is located among hills and valleys about three and one-half miles south of Harris.  Wooded edges of old hay fields mark out a beautiful landscape.  The homes of the Pottawatomie Indians who live here, are two-story frame houses which were constructed by the Federal Government.  The Hannahville School and church in the Indian Reservation were built earlier.  The church is used today.  The school which had been closed for about nine years, was reconditioned and reopened in 1931 and is still in use.  A teacherage was constructed in 1931 to accommodate the teacher as there was no means of travel in the winter time.  Mrs. Florence Dault was the first teacher when the school was reopened. The Indians have a Community Club in which they take an active part.  The objective of this club is to better industrial, health, educational, and home conditions of its members. According to one of the members of the tribe, Indians have been living at Hannahville for almost 70 years.  In a little cemetery near the church is a grave marked 1890.  The inscription has the words--"Elizabeth, daughter of Peter and Juliana Martin, born November 1, 1885.  Died August 4, 1890." Many people are interested in the handwork of the Indians.  They manufacture bows and arrows, moccasins, canoes, baskets, and other articles symbolic of their ancestors.  Their native handicraft abilities enable them to make a living.  The federal government encouraged and subsidized farms for the Indians but the experiment was not successful.  
 
 
Source:  Menominee County Book for Schools, edited by Ethel Schuyler.  Menominee, Michigan: Office of County School Commissioner, 1941.
Previous  |  Next ]     [ Up  |  First  |  Last ]     (Article 81 of 184)